Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Home sweet home

Hi everyone!


This is the first time I am blogging from South Korea!


I've been here about 3 days, and so far I've been very busy attempting to adjust to life here.


My arrival here was a little chaotic, with the airline losing my bags & I had to sleep my first night here on a sheetless bed...but since then they have been recovered :)






I am living in the dormitories here at Chung-Ang university, which are a very coveted real estate, believe it or not... Many students who live up to an hour away are denied rooms because there are other students who live even further! The dorms here are pretty nice, comparable to what you'd see in American universities. The only big difference is that there is no kitchenette or anywhere to have a fridge or stove. Cooking in the dorms is strictly prohibited, along with many other things such as:
- having outside friends visit the dorms
- visiting the dormitory of the opposite sex
- alcohol, tobacco or drugs of any kind may not be kept in the dorms
- cooked food and food that can go bad may not be kept in the dorms
- a strict curfew of 1am is kept at all times- if you get to the dorms after 1am you will be denied access!


here is a picture of the dormitory- see that steep hill? I have to climb about 4 of those just to get to and from the dorms every day!

my bed has sheets now :)

closet

desk




But for the most part life here is pretty similar to an American dormitory, but you will notice that Korean students are NOT here to party! They are here to study, and are rarely distracted by outside influences (unlike many American students!)


My roommate's name is Minh Nguyet, she is a Vietnamese American from San Diego, California, and she has 14 brothers and sisters! She is such a sweetheart, and we are getting along quite well already.


our first meal out.... pho ;)
(so much for Korean culture immersion!)


The dormitory also offers a meal plan here for a very affordable price. The meals served are a choice between Korean and Western options, although I honestly don't even know what some of the Western options are, let alone the Korean options, haha. Meal times are strictly observed here, so if you miss the time breakfast/lunch/dinner is served, you're on your own! Luckily though, there are myriad of little restaurants and shops close by for all your meal and snacking needs. Since breakfast is served from 7-8 (way too early for me!) I took it upon myself to provide my own breakfast:


wala! 
Now...I know what you guys are thinking- really Morgan? you're in Korea, and you're eating corn flakes?? But let me explain! Breakfast in Asian countries is not anything like breakfast in Western countries, in fact, if you walked into the cafeteria at breakfast time, you'd have no idea it was breakfast! There is little distinction between foods eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. and YES! kimchi is even served at breakfast. Now, I'm sorry, but there is no way my stomach can handle spicy fermented cabbage at 9oclock in the morning. Gimme a chance to adjust guys! Thus the corn flakes, haha. I promise, once I become more familiar with my surroundings, I will share all of my Korean foodie experiences :)


I also started classes today, Beginning Korean and ELT curriculum (which is basically a class about different ways to teach ESL learners using different curriculums) So far, the classes here are similar to home, except the professors are a LOT stricter! Attendance is fiercely enforced, and much of your grade is dependent on midterms and finals....with little supplementation from homework or projects. 


I still have a lot to share...but alas! lunch and class are waiting....stay tuned for more soon :)



1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, you went all the way to Korea to go out to eat Vietnamese food with your roommate. . . . Ditch the cornflakes! Kimchi: breakfast, lunch and dinner! You'll get used to it.

    ReplyDelete